Friday, June 17, 2011

Spotlight on Liz Epstein-Smith

Liz Epstein Smith has been performing improv since 1996. As a founding member of Mile Hi-Larity, she has has been teaching team building workshops, improv classes and performing all over Colorado (and sometimes other states too) for the past 13 years. She loves to laugh and make others laugh. When not doing the Mile Hi-larity or other improv stuff, she spends her time playing tennis, reading and being a wife/mom to her husband and two daughters.

Liz graduated college with a bachelor's degree in computer science and economics. She followed that with a J.D. from D.U. Law School. After practicing law for a decade she realized that is was much more fun to be home with the kids and is lucky enough to do so.

How were you first introduced to improvisation?

I was thumbing through the Colorado Free University catalog with a friend and we saw an improv class. We thought it would be fun to try it. We both loved it. I loved the spontaneity and quick wit. I love to laugh (doesn't everyone?) I laughed at the super funny things and was amazed at the intense effort that everybody put into their scenes. At the end of the class, there was a "performance" for our friends and family. My boyfriend at the time encouraged me to audition for a troupe. I did so. Got in and immediately had no time for the boyfriend. I had a great time with Comedy Jocks for a number of years. Then it was time to do something different.

Mile Hi-Larity has been performing shows since 1998. How did the troupe form and how would you describe your team's style?

While in Comedy Jocks I met some great people. The most awesome of which is my husband, Steve. I also met one of my best friends, Nick Nguyen. The three of us, along with another woman, Sarah Tracy left Comedy Jocks for various reasons. We all missed improv and what it brought to our lives. We decided to form Mile Hi-Larity. We designed it as a real company. We have corporate documents and by-laws. That has helped us immensely over the years. In the beginning we focused on team-building workshops, which we really enjoyed doing. Unfortunately, most corporate team-building gigs are during the work week and as we all had day jobs, this became increasingly difficult. We started focusing on entertainment gigs (which are usually during the evenings or weekends) and that's where we are today.

Mile Hi-Larity's style is short form and completely focused on working as a team. No member of the troupe is the "star." When we audition people, the number one quality we look for is how they interact with others. You can be the funniest person in the world, but if you can't share the stage and the funny, you aren't right for us. We believe that if you follow the guidelines of the various games, the "funny" shines through. Our motto is: When people watch you on stage, they should either say, "Wow, I couldn't do that!" or "Wow, I wouldn't do that!"

What improv games are your favorites to play and why?

I like games that rely more on wordplay than physical comedy. I'm definitely not as comfortable with the physical stuff. I would love to get better at body movement . Backwards Interview, What are you doing? and New Choice are in my top ten for sure. I like the singing games a lot too. I'm not the best singer, but it's fun to commit and see what comes out. It's a little hard to pick favorites. I enjoy almost all the games - either because they lend themselves to my strengths so I feel very comfortable and strong or if they are not my "best" games, I have to really work hard. I like that feeling too. I also know that the other players always have my back.

You have performed in theaters and events all over Colorado. Are there any experiences that stand out?

On the positive side, we have done a bunch of shows in Aspen during the summer. We would teach a masterclass in improv over the weekend and then perform in the beautiful Aspen tent at night. The setting was incredible and the audience always superb. The Boulder International Fringe Festival is also a lot of fun. Mile Hi-Larity will be performing again this year. There are a lot of funky theater and music groups that perform for a couple weeks in August. There is a very neat sense of camaraderie among the performers.

I suppose one of my low points was when someone threw a rubber chicken at me during a show. I hardly new what to do. I bit it's head off and moved on.

Another awkward show was for about 1300 people. We were supposed to start at 9, but didn't go on until after 10:30. The audience was getting tired and we had warmed up and cooled down over and over again. The kicker was that the person on stage before us was a fire and brimstone speaker focusing mainly on how life is not fun. Then it was our turn to "be funny."

Has improv helped you in your personal life?

Improv has had a huge effect on my life. Obviously, the most important - I met my husband doing improv. We have so much fun together. We laugh all of the time and are rarely bored. There's no end to the improv games we can play. We had to wait in line for passports many years ago for several hours - it was the most fun, entertaining time together. Nobody makes me laugh harder than Steve.

In the business world, I am comfortable speaking in public and can think on my feet. I find it easy to talk to people I don't know and am able to make others feel comfortable too. It is a skill that I really appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment